Pastor Rick Warren Asks for $900,000, Receives $2.4 million
California News (KFSN) -- Evangelical Pastor Rick Warren is getting an overwhelming response from parishioners at his Southern California mega-church.
Since asking for financial help on New Year's Eve, parishioners have donated close to $2.5 million to the church.
He made the announcement during a sermon at the church on Saturday.
Thursday, Warren posted an urgent letter on his church's website asking for $900,000.
The pastor said expenses are up because parishioners are out of work and the "bottom dropped out" when year-end donations dropped dramatically.
Warren said the new donations are "amazing" and says the church will now start the new decade with a surplus.
economy, new year's eve, state
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos