Teen on life support after Sherman Oaks fire
SHERMAN OAKS, Calif. -- A 14-year-old boy is on life support Tuesday after firefighters pulled him from a burning home in Sherman Oaks. Three others were seriously injured.
The LAPD previously reported that the teen had died, but now say the teen is alive and on life support.
When Los Angeles City firefighters rushed into the home on the 4800 block of Tilden Avenue at about 6:30 a.m., the two-story structure was completely engulfed. Flames were blowing out of the side door, and firefighters had to go through the flames to get inside the home. Once inside, firefighters said the home was so full of smoke that it was pitch black.
All four people inside the home, including a 58-year-old man, a 50-year-old woman, a 12-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy, suffered serious injuries in the fire.
Firefighters were crawling on their knees through the house, trying to get around by touch. They were able to bump into the spiral staircase, which led them to the upstairs bedroom where the boy was found. The boy did not have a pulse and was not breathing when he was found.
"We just happened upon the stairwell," said Paul Schori of the L.A. City Fire Department. Schori said the spiral staircase was only about four feet in circumference, and the hand rail was completely burned off.
Firefighters went up a few steps, but they were forced back down by the heat, Schori said.
Firefighters said it was so hot inside the home that their helmets melted. Capt. Jeff Dapper said the fire was one of the hotter fires due to the plywood in the home. The cause of the fire has not been determined.
It took firefighters 37 minutes to declare a knockdown.
los angeles, state, carlos granda
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney 1 min ago
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria 51 min ago
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Runners hit streets for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago