6 dead, 5 unaccounted for after San Bruno explosion
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities now say six people are dead and five remain unaccounted for after a large gas line explosion and inferno in a San Bruno neighborhood.
At least 50 people were injured and the blast left a giant crater and demolished dozens of homes on Thursday evening.
At a packed town hall meeting inside a church officials tried to console and inform the homeless victims of the massive and deadly gas explosion.
"There are reports circulating that there may be additional fatalities. What we can tell you at this time is that search and investigation process is continuing," San Bruno City Manager Connie Jackson said.
They are still trying to determine what caused the blast.
"We don't know what made that pipeline rupture," Geisha Williams of Pacific Gas & Electric said.
And what about the safety of similar gas lines that criss-cross towns across America?
"When you realize that some of this pipe was laid in 1948, others in the 50s, it raises a lot of questions," Sen. Barbara Boxer said.
Questions that remain unanswered while search dogs are still roaming a devastated neighborhood for any missing people.
"It's really hard to put into words the way you feel when you see a beautiful neighborhood and a whole section of it that just almost disappeared, and the remnants of the cars melted in the driveways."
So far, only a few residents received permission to go back for a few minutes to get vital supplies, like medicine. That will soon change.
"It is our expectation that the mass majority of homes will be accessible as of tomorrow."
No word yet when destroyed homes will be rebuilt.
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos