New project to connect state and federal water systems
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some political heavyweights came out to endorse the Intertie Pipeline and Pumping project. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar said it marked a new era of cooperation between the state and federal water projects.
"Today is a great day of celebration." Salazar told a crowd gathered at the project site, which is northwest of Tracy.
California's Senior Senator, Dianne Feinstein said it marked the start of a team effort between the state and federal governments that could lead to more water projects.
"This is to be I hope, the signal project that will signify that we're going to stop fighting and put that team together that will prevent this great state from becoming a desert state." Feinstein said.
The project involves building a pumping station on the Delta Mendota Canal, part of the Federal system, and running two pipes 500 feet up a hill to the California Aqueduct, the state system. It will move about 40 thousand acre feet of water each year, and cost almost 30 million dollars.
Democratic Congressman Jim Costa of Fresno was among those who pushed to get this project done. Facing a tough re-election campaign by opponents who accuse him of not having done enough to get water to Valley farms, he believes this will be a major shot in the arm to agriculture
"Up to 40 thousand acre feet of water per year after the years we've had recently, that makes a big difference in the flexibility in the operations and the fact we're proving you can actually get some things done," said Costa. "I think the people want to feel we are investing in California's water future."
Most of the funding from the project will come from the Federal Government, more than half of that from Federal Stimulus funds. It will take about two years to complete.
california water, state, gene haagenson
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room 49 min ago
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times