South valley soldier dies in Afghanistan
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Department Of Defense has announced the death of a south valley soldier in Afghanistan.
24-year-old Army Specialist Brett W. Land died on Saturday in the Zhari district of Afghanistan. Land was most recently from Wasco, but spent part of his childhood in Porterville.
Land was killed when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device. He was part of an air assault team out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
Land was a standout wrestler for Bakersfield High and a member of the school's 2004 state championship team. His wife gave birth to their first child just three weeks ago.
bakersfield, porterville, afghanistan, state
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals