South valley soldier dies in Afghanistan
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Department Of Defense has announced the death of a south valley soldier in Afghanistan.
24-year-old Army Specialist Brett W. Land died on Saturday in the Zhari district of Afghanistan. Land was most recently from Wasco, but spent part of his childhood in Porterville.
Land was killed when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device. He was part of an air assault team out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
Land was a standout wrestler for Bakersfield High and a member of the school's 2004 state championship team. His wife gave birth to their first child just three weeks ago.
bakersfield, porterville, afghanistan, state
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay 46 min ago
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos