Sheriff: Missing Tahoe snowboarder found dead
TRUCKEE, Calif. -- Placer County authorities say they've found the body of a woman who went missing while snowboarding at a Lake Tahoe-area resort.
Sheriff's Capt. Jeff Ausnow said searchers spotted 25-year-old Shawnte Marie Willis' body from a helicopter Thursday morning. She was found near the base of a tree and appeared to have crashed while snowboarding.
Willis became separated from her friends Tuesday afternoon at Alpine Meadows Ski Resort.
Searchers used crews on the ground and a military helicopter with infrared technology to look for her. Ausnow said inclement weather prevented crews from searching the area where Willis was found until Thursday.
Willis' family in Humboldt County has described her as a strong athlete. But they worried that being lost in the snow could trigger her epilepsy.
lake tahoe, missing person, state
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast 34 min ago
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast 40 min ago
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- 2014 'Bowl for Kids' Sake' held in North Fresno