Car recovered in Cardenas kidnapping, no bodies inside
PATTERSON, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities pulled a kidnapping suspect's car from the bottom of a frigid Central California canal Friday, but the bodies of the suspect and the missing 4-year-old boy were not inside.
The badly damaged Toyota Corolla recovered from the Delta-Mendota canal along with two other vehicles just before 6 p.m. was empty, Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson said.
The car belongs to 27-year-old Jose Rodriguez, who is suspected of kidnapping Juliani Cardenas, his ex-girlfriend's son, from the arms of the boy's grandmother in Patterson on Jan. 18.
Divers have been combing the canal since last week after receiving a tip that a car matching the one in which Rodriguez allegedly fled was seen heading into the water.
The car was found with sonar Friday morning in a tunnel about 50 feet below the surface. An underwater camera showed its license plate and confirmed the vehicle was the suspect's 2003 silver Corolla, Christianson said.
A single diver entered the water shortly after 4 p.m. to attach a line to the car so a tow truck could drag it from the canal. A backup diver was in the water to assist.
Authorities will continue to search the canal for the bodies in the event they floated downstream, Christianson said. He said there was no visible indication that Rodriguez had fled the scene.
Two of the car's windows were down when it was pulled from the canal, Christianson said.
During a briefing for reporters Friday afternoon, Christianson said he feared the worst.
"We're certainly saddened by the fact that we found the car even though we knew we would," he said. "As these days have progressed, we knew that the likelihood of bringing little Juliani home alive was diminishing exponentially."
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
kidnapping, amber alert, crimetracker, state
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 2 min ago
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery 38 min ago
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88 12 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies