Sheriff: Inmate hanged herself in Bakersfield cell
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- Kern County Sheriff's officials say an inmate who died after being found unresponsive in her jail cell hanged herself.
The sheriff's office released the results on Tuesday of an autopsy on 28-year-old Lorena Diaz of Bakersfield. Diaz was found unresponsive on Saturday night in her cell at the Kern County Sheriff's Office's Central Receiving Facility in Bakersfield.
She was taken to Mercy Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Diaz's family tells KGET-TV she had a history of mental health problems and had been in and out of jail. They questioned why she was not on a suicide watch.
But Sheriff's Lt. Tyson Davis says mental health professionals who evaluated Diaz said she was not a danger to herself.
Information from: KGET-TV, http://www.kget.com/
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos