Fire erupts at Los Angeles-area food company
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Country Fire responded to an explosion in a commercial building in Huntington Park in South Los Angeles.
The fire began at 5:30 a.m. Monday at Alameda Street and Gage Avenue. It is reported that the building is a Chinese food processing business.
"We heard a noise, explosion," said Jorge, an employee who was inside at the time of the explosion. "It came up from the boiler room. We ran up to see what was going on, and we saw the fire come up from the room."
Jorge said that approximately 25 people were inside the building at the time of the explosion. One female employee reportedly suffered a minor injury and was transported to a hospital in good condition.
Firefighters said that large amounts of soy bean oil were fueling the flames.
"It has gone to a third alarm, so we have triple the amount of firefighters and resources that originally were sent," said Capt. Mark Savage from L.A. County Fire. "We have over 75 firefighters. Our first priority is protection of life, getting anybody who was in this building out of the building."
The fire department said a firewall helped keep the flames from spreading to nearby structures, and evacuation at nearby buildings was not necessary. Alameda Street was closed in both directions between Florence Avenue and Gage Avenue.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
los angeles, state, elex michaelson
- The Red Wave hits the road 2 min ago
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl game losing streak 19 min ago
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- 'Dogs get chance to break bowl game losing...
21 min ago
- Fresno State football fans gear up for the...
27 min ago
- Bulldog Cadillac greats Fresno State fans...
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos