Cable saddle to be placed on new Bay Bridge tower
TREASURE ISLAND -- A final piece of the massive new Bay Bridge tower is being put into place Thursday. Crews will be working 500 feet above the water on a project that is so enormous it will make history.
The 960,000 pound cable saddle will carry the bridge's nearly mile long single looped cable over the top of the tower. The cable saddle is the largest in the world. Caltrans crews held a dress rehearsal last month for the project.
The Bay Bridges new eastern span is scheduled to open in 2013.
bay area, state, amy hollyfield
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 11 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors 24 min ago
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- 2014 'Bowl for Kids' Sake' held in North Fresno
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol...
30 min ago