Cable saddle to be placed on new Bay Bridge tower
TREASURE ISLAND -- A final piece of the massive new Bay Bridge tower is being put into place Thursday. Crews will be working 500 feet above the water on a project that is so enormous it will make history.
The 960,000 pound cable saddle will carry the bridge's nearly mile long single looped cable over the top of the tower. The cable saddle is the largest in the world. Caltrans crews held a dress rehearsal last month for the project.
The Bay Bridges new eastern span is scheduled to open in 2013.
bay area, state, amy hollyfield
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove 52 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman