Cajon Pass wildfires in SoCal force evacuations
CAJON PASS, SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY (KFSN) -- Two brush fires burning near the 15 Freeway in the Cajon Pass forced the evacuation of residents in the area on Monday.
The fire department ordered the evacuation of four homes at Matthews Ranch on Matthews Ranch Road. One mobile home at Matthews Ranch has been destroyed.
Silverwood Lake Park is under voluntary evacuation orders. The fires began on the northbound 15 between Kenwood Avenue and Cleghorn Road about 1 p.m. According to the U.S. Forest Service, the Ken Fire has burned about 250 acres and is 10 percent contained. The Swarthout Fire burned about three acres.
Flames were reportedly jumping onto the freeway. Two northbound lanes were closed, but all southbound lanes remained open.
Caltrans advised commuters to avoid the area because heavy delays were expected.
fire, widlfire, state
- Carstens Fire blamed on unattended campfire 12 min ago
- Sierra Fire near Auberry at 50 percent containment
- Firefighters save home north of Clovis
- Resources stretched thin as fires ignite around the Valley
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails 10 min ago
- FPD seize weapons from gang members
- Car Crashes into a Visalia Chipotle
- Man finds Reedley mother's stolen ashes
- Police identify Central Fresno murder suspect
- Smoke from fires may cause health risks
- Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity'
- Court: Arizona citizenship proof law illegal