Authorities say remains are those of Michelle Le
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities say human remains found in a San Francisco Bay area canyon are those of Michelle Le, the missing nursing student who disappeared May 27 while taking a school break.
Hayward police late Monday said tests by the Alameda County coroner on the badly decomposed remains confirmed they were Le. Police declined to release any further information.
On Saturday, searchers discovered the remains off a dirt trail in a rugged Alameda County canyon. Police said cell phone signals from Le and a former school friend they suspect in her death had been received from the area.
The former friend, Giselle Esteban, knew Le in high school in San Diego. Esteban was arrested earlier this month and charged with murder.
Police said Le's family has been told of the discovery.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
crimetracker, missing person, state
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos