MEGA Millions jackpot hits a world record $540 million
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The MEGA Millions jackpot for Friday's draw has officially become the largest jackpot in the history of lotteries around the world, according to the California Lottery.
11, 15, 22, 26, 37 and 21. These are the six lucky numbers Dolores Whitlock of Selma hopes makes her the next Mega Millionaire. "Because of the large jackpot of course, it drew me in. I saw everybody else on TV buying it so I thought I would," said Whitlock.
The Mega Millions jackpot has hit $540 million, becoming the largest jackpot in history. And many are giving into the frenzy, including people who have never played before. "It's a lot of money and I could do a lot of things with it," said Mary Hernandez. Hernandez decided to try her luck for the first time but admits she wouldn't know what to do with half a billion dollars. "I read a lot of stories about people coming after or wanting this or wanting that but I would try to do my best and share it," said Hernandez.
While people try their luck at the nearest liquor store, some are going to where there's been a history of winners, like Kwik Korner Market in Orosi, where Jim Kitauchi won $32 million in the Super Lotto last year. "A lot of people buy here. This is a lucky store. A lot of people came here last year and somebody may win this time again," said the owner of the store.
If you were to win, would you quit your job? "Not really. I'd torture my manager a little bit first and then maybe I'd quit," said Ricardo Torres of Selma.
But the odds of winning the nationwide lottery played in 42 states is slim. The chances of hitting all six numbers is 1 in 176 million. "The odds of winning are long but because the level of excitement has grown so much since the jackpot has been rolling, that it's really hard for people to ignore," said Alex Traverso with the California Lottery.
While it may be a long-shot, $1 dollar is all it takes to win the multi-million dollar jackpot.
lottery, state, carlos saucedo
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network 2 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening