San Jose girl reunited with stolen puppy
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KFSN) -- A little girl and her puppy have been reunited after the dog was taken from the family's home during a burglary earlier this week.
It was a tearful reunion for 10-year-old Marissa Mabanag and her little dog Meeko. Thieves broke into her family's home and stole the 5-month-old shih tzu-yorkie mix on Monday. Wednesday, Marissa pleaded for Meeko's safe return, offering her piggy bank savings as a reward.
After hearing about Marissa's heartfelt plea, Blanca Del Real came forward, saying a woman gave her the puppy after finding it wandering in a Walmart parking lot in Los Banos more than 100 miles from his San Jose home.
"I want to say thank you to everybody who made this happen," Marissa said. "I just can't believe he's in my arms right now, I thought he'd be gone forever."
Amid hugs and tears, a San Jose City Councilmember and San Jose police and firefighters presented Del Real with a $6,000 reward check. She accepted their check, but not Marissa's piggy bank money.
Police believe the thieves, who also made off with thousands of dollars of electronics, dumped Meeko after realizing the dog's photo publicized on the Internet.
animal, state, karina rusk
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove 51 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman