Couple arrested in Sacramento New Year's eve shooting
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Police have arrested a couple they say were connected to a New Year's Eve shooting in a Sacramento bar that killed two people and wounded three others, including the suspected gunman.
Amber Scholz, 36, instigated an altercation and her husband, Charles Fowler-Scholz, 34, was involved in a fight before the shooting at the Sports Corner Cafe in the Old Sacramento area on Monday night, police said. The couple were arrested Friday on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.
Police did not release details, and did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press.
The suspected gunman in the shooting - Carlito Montoya - is also in custody. The 22-year-old was wounded by an armed security guard at the bar. He ran out of the bar toward a street crowded with holiday revelers but was caught quickly by officers chasing him, police said.
Montoya was in custody at an undisclosed hospital where he was being treated for his wounds.
The security guard and a 30-year-old woman at the bar were also wounded. Police said their injuries were not considered to be life threatening.
The shooting prompted police to cancel Sacramento's New Year's Eve midnight fireworks show that was expected to draw as many as 40,000 people. The pyrotechnics were instead detonated on Tuesday morning, startling residents of neighborhoods along the Sacramento River, according to the Sacramento Bee.
sacramento, shooting, state
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years