Elevator crushes man in Bay Area subway
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators on Monday were trying to determine how a man found crushed to death by an elevator at a Bay Area Rapid Transit station managed to get into the shaft.
The man was discovered Sunday night after authorities responded to reports that a rider was stuck in an elevator.
The rider later told authorities that he heard noise while taking the elevator up at the bustling Montgomery Street station, transit police Lt. Michael Hayes told The Associated Press.
"The rider said he had been riding up to the concourse when he heard a crunching sound, followed by a scream," Hayes said. "Then the elevator stalled."
A man was later found dead on top of the elevator along with personal belongings that apparently included bedding, transit spokeswoman Luna Salaver said.
"We don't understand why anyone would seek refuge in an elevator shaft. It is disturbing, upsetting and highly unusual," Salaver said. "This has never happened before in our 40 years of service."
Authorities suspect the man was homeless, and it was unknown how long he had been inside the elevator, Salaver said. He had no identification when he was found.
BART ticket agents and police conduct sweeps inside stations prior to closing time. Typically, homeless and transient people camp overnight outside a station's gate to get away from the elements, Salaver said.
The incident is under investigation by transit police, and inspectors with Cal OSHA were expected to conduct a separate probe. The elevator could be back in service by March 20, Salaver said.
The death is not considered suspicious, Hayes said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
bay area, san francisco, accident, state
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos