Sex allegations put Colombian priest in California jail
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Diocese of Stockton says a priest visiting from Colombia has been arrested on suspicion of sexual battery and child molestation.
The Rev. Julio Guarin-Sosa is being held at Sutter County Jail in Yuba City, north of Sacramento. The district attorney's office says he will be arraigned later Tuesday.
The diocese says the 43-year-old priest had been assisting at St. Anne's Parish in Lodi, 40 miles south of the state capital. The diocese has revoked Guarin-Sosa's authority to minister.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests said in a statement that California bishops have a "habit of accepting foreign priests with little to no investigation of their backgrounds."
A statement from the diocese said Bishop Stephen Blaire had received a letter of good standing by Guarin-Sosa's diocese in Colombia.
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos