Sex allegations put Colombian priest in California jail
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Diocese of Stockton says a priest visiting from Colombia has been arrested on suspicion of sexual battery and child molestation.
The Rev. Julio Guarin-Sosa is being held at Sutter County Jail in Yuba City, north of Sacramento. The district attorney's office says he will be arraigned later Tuesday.
The diocese says the 43-year-old priest had been assisting at St. Anne's Parish in Lodi, 40 miles south of the state capital. The diocese has revoked Guarin-Sosa's authority to minister.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests said in a statement that California bishops have a "habit of accepting foreign priests with little to no investigation of their backgrounds."
A statement from the diocese said Bishop Stephen Blaire had received a letter of good standing by Guarin-Sosa's diocese in Colombia.
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case
- Clovis mother writes 'It's Ok, Mama Has Cancer'