South Valley teen saves toddler at Disneyland
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- 18-year-old Sara Jewell did CPR on a one year old girl at Disneyland two weeks ago and saved her life.
"We look over and this lady is like holding this child in her arms and screaming that we need help that she needs first aid"
She was at Disneyland with the Taft High School Choir and was waiting in line for the Dumbo ride when she heard the screams. She hopped a fence to get to the woman and her child.
"Luckily there as an umbrella so I could kind of pull myself kind of over because I wouldn't have made it over by myself," Jewell said.
Jewell says the little girl was in bad shape when she first got to her.
"her lips were blue her eyes were rolled back in her head she was convulsing," Jewell said.
Jewell says that's when her life guard training kicked in.
"I run up to her and I'm like 'I am a life guard I know CPR can I help you.' She kind of looked at me 'ok'& I am taking it as consent because you are not going to answer me and so I was like 'I need you to put the child on the ground,' so she laid her on the ground and I just started giving her CPR," Jewell said.
People here in Taft who know Sara say they are not surprised at all by what she did. A few rounds of CPR the little girl regained consciousness.
"Her mother turned her over and the girl just threw up and started coughing and coughing is breathing," Jewell said.
Jewell says a Disneyland employee gave her free passes after it was all over.
"He actually chased us down and ended up giving me three free admit passes which are the fast track passes which I could have used to get in the front of any ride I wanted," Jewell said.
Even though she saved a life, she says she is uncomfortable with being called a hero.
"Hearing people say that it scares me almost," Jewell said. "I don't think did anything abnormal I just did what I had to do."
bakersfield, kern county, state
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 4 min ago
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF 4 min ago
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows 31 min ago
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases 2 min ago
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
2 min ago
- Traffic flowing through "Braided Ramps"
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos