Kidnapped San Jose baby found safe
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A one-year-old baby that was kidnapped Monday morning in San Jose and triggered and AMBER Alert has been found safe.
The Jeep was found at the Seven Trees Community Center near East Capitol Expressway, a police officer said. Police have not yet released more details about how the car and child were found.
The baby appeared to be in good health. Police said no arrests have been made in the case. Police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said the investigation is continuing.
"We want to know who took the car and what their motivation was," he said.
According to the CHP, the suspect, described as a Hispanic/White female stole a 2006 white Jeep Liberty from in front of a home. The child was inside the vehicle when it was stolen.
The mother, Graciella Quintera, had placed her 11-month-old daughter Gabriella in a car seat in the backseat of the Jeep but had not yet strapped her in, San Jose police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
Quintera, who is a single mother, did not recognize the suspect but saw her standing nearby before the car was stolen, Dwyer said.
Her daughter, whose first birthday is in four days, was gone, police said.
"The mother is understandably shaken," Dwyer said. "It's very difficult to interview someone in that condition."
San Jose police said they don't know if the motive was to steal the car or the baby.
amber alert, bay area, state
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos