Man found dead hanging off Sacramento high-rise
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A man appears to have died accidentally from asphyxiation when he lowered himself off an 18-story office building in downtown Sacramento with a rope, a fire official said Monday.
It remains undetermined why the man created a harness and lowered himself down the east side of the high-rise, said Sacramento Fire Department Battalion Chief Marc Bentovoja. He said the man did not appear to work for the building and investigators are reviewing building security cameras to determine how he got in.
It's unclear how long the body had been hanging four floors from the top of the building.
"From everything we can tell, he didn't have any special rope repelling equipment on, climbing equipment or anything like that," he said. "He appeared to be looped into the rope."
Police and fire crews responded after receiving a call at 7:44 a.m. Monday. Rescue personnel were seen rappelling down the side of the building to check out the object and retrieved the body shortly after 9 a.m.
Bentovoja said the coroner will conduct an autopsy and even though the man had identification on him, police were still trying to identify the man.
Formally named the 1201 K Tower, the building houses offices for lobbyists, public relations businesses and law firms that do business two blocks away at the Capitol.
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- 2014 'Bowl for Kids' Sake' held in North Fresno
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
41 min ago