Brush fire in SoCal scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
CASTAIC, Calif. (KFSN) -- A brush fire that erupted in the Castaic area near the 5 Freeway Friday is burning out of control, scorching 575 acres.
The fire was 60 percent contained by about 9:30 p.m. So far, no structures are threatened.
The fire broke out along the 5 Freeway near Lake Hughes Road at about 1:30 p.m. Nineteen homes on Elk Ridge Road and Vista Point Place were temporarily evacuated as a precaution, but all evacuation orders have since been lifted.
Nathan Judy from the U.S. Forest Service said the fire switched directions and is now burning in a northerly direction away from homes.
"It's burning through light grass and light brush, which is makes the fire run very quickly," Judy said.
More than 100 firefighters are fighting the blaze from the ground, and three helicopters and six fixed-wing aircraft are assisting from the air.
At one point, the blaze was burning about 100 yards away from North Lake Hills Elementary School, but authorities say the school was not in any danger. Sheriff's officials said the kids were taken off-site so parents could pick them up.
The California Highway Patrol shut down the left lane on the southbound 5 Freeway between Lake Hughes and Parker roads. Nearby Ridge Route Road was also closed at Pine Crest Place due to the fire.
No injuries or damage was reported.
KABC-TV Los Angeles, CA contributed to this report.
fire, brush fire, widlfire, state
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years