48 indicted in NorCal gang crackdown
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Santa Clara County grand jury has indicted four dozen reputed members of a violent street gang for crimes ranging from drug dealing to murder in the county's largest such case to date.
Assistant District Attorney Scott Tsui said in a statement Tuesday that 38 men and 10 women from the Nuestra Familia gang were indicted on a three-year string of 77 felonies between 2010 and late last month including conspiracy, witness intimidation, drug sales, weapons violations and murder.
The 99-page indictment also says members orchestrated several San Jose bank robberies to fund gang activities, netting more than $60,000.
Court documents say Nuestra Familia - Spanish for "Our Family" - is a violent gang that has been run from within the California and federal prison systems since the 1960s.
KGO-TV San Francisco and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno 49 min ago
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case 33 min ago
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Accuweather Forecast
37 min ago
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos