48 indicted in NorCal gang crackdown
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Santa Clara County grand jury has indicted four dozen reputed members of a violent street gang for crimes ranging from drug dealing to murder in the county's largest such case to date.
Assistant District Attorney Scott Tsui said in a statement Tuesday that 38 men and 10 women from the Nuestra Familia gang were indicted on a three-year string of 77 felonies between 2010 and late last month including conspiracy, witness intimidation, drug sales, weapons violations and murder.
The 99-page indictment also says members orchestrated several San Jose bank robberies to fund gang activities, netting more than $60,000.
Court documents say Nuestra Familia - Spanish for "Our Family" - is a violent gang that has been run from within the California and federal prison systems since the 1960s.
KGO-TV San Francisco and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California 9 min ago
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Accuweather Forecast
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos