18-month-old child dies in Kern County house fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An 18-month-old child has died in a Kern County house fire Wednesday night.
The Kern County Fire Department battled the blaze for 30-minutes and once they got inside the home they found the child who had received fatal injuries. An investigation as to what happened is currently under way.
Anthony Lazcano is holding his younger brothers and sister a little closer, after hearing about the death of his neighbor. "I was in my room and I heard sirens going off. I come out to check and I see all the fire trucks and ambulance around. I didn't know nothing of it until I came out here and I just see smoke coming out the window and I see a family crying on the side and I didn't know what was going on."
Leaders with the Kern County Fire Department say an 18-month-old child was found inside the burning structure.
"It's kind of a sad thing to hear especially so close by especially since I have four little brothers, so imagine what they're going through, just the feeling of losing a baby," said Lazcano.
Investigators say heavy smoke and fire was coming from the front and east of the two-story house. It took more than thirty personnel to battle the blaze.
"They had exposure just behind the actual building on the same address. There's a second building, another residence, that building at one point was threaten but fire fighters were able to get back there and make an exposure stop," said Corey Wilford.
Crews managed to pull a hose line through the front of the home to control the fire. Officials say an investigation is now under way to see exactly how the fire started.
"Its still really early, we just don't know what it is yet, it's really early in the investigation so as things become more and more available we'll make sure we just get it out," said Wilford.
Fire investigators are now working to determine how the child got left inside the burning home. They are also looking for what started the fire.
kern county, fire, state
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery 15 min ago
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos