Artwork pays tribute to former lovers of Calf. governors
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A California artist has unveiled a new exhibit in the State Capitol.
The monument is meant to pay tribute to former lovers of our governors.
Christine Larson was a lover of Ronald Reagan. Ten women all lovers of California's governors.
Molly Lowe, Piper Laurie, each with have a story of love, heartache and influence. Linda Ronstadt who was Jerry Brown's girlfriend during his running for office. And Gigi Goyah, Arnold Schwarzenegger's Housekeeper.
Sacramento artist Maren Conrad's artwork was called politically vulnerable. The art work was supposed to hang inside a new downtown bar and lounge called Vanguard.
"I felt like incorporating strong smart women that were also very comfortable with their sexuality and their vulnerability was a very interesting topic for the placement," said Maren Conrad.
But then lobbyist Donne Brownsey heard about Conrad's Collection and complained to Vanguard. She felt that there were many other women that were more worthy of celebration.
So vanguard decided not to display the collection.
"It was hugely painful it was two hundred and eighty hours of my life," said Conrad.
Little did Conrad know there is no such thing as bad publicity. Sometimes controversy is a good thing. The collection once meant for a bar. Is now drawing crowds at an art gallery.
sacramento, art, state, dale yurong
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard 14 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos