1 dead after tree falls on Groveland summer camp
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One person has died and four people were injured after a tree fell just outside the dining hall at Camp Tawonga near Yosemite. The summer camp is for kids and families run by an organization based in San Francisco.
Just after 8 a.m. Wednesday, authorities responded to Camp Tawonga, a kids camp near Yosemite, after reports that a tree had fallen and injured several people.
According to a press release by Camp Tawonga, staff member Annais Rittenberg was killed when the tree fell. They also said four other adult staff members were injured and taken to local hospitals. They have been identified as Lizzie Moore, Cara Sheedy, Juliet Ulibarri, and Anya Schultz.
No children were injured in the incident.
Camp Tawonga said all the campers have been participating in activities away from the scene and they have therapist working with First Responder grief experts to help children and staff at the camp.
Camp Tawonga is a Jewish based camp for children in the Stanislaus National Forest near Groveland California -- in Tuolumne County close to Yosemite.
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this story.
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car 32 min ago
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list 53 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Surviving the mall's food court 18 min ago
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Consumer Watch: Surviving the mall's food...
25 min ago
- Fresno auto repair shops look for next...
58 min ago
- Freeze takes toll on Valley's $1.5 billion...
15 min ago