Lieutenant Governor Newsom Declares State of Emergency in Riverside County
PRESS RELEASE (KFSN) -- Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom issued an emergency proclamation for Riverside County, in response to the recent wildfire that has destroyed residences, threatened thousands of homes and commercial properties and caused evacuations.
The full text of the emergency proclamation is below:
A PROCLAMATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY
WHEREAS a wildfire started on July 15, 2013, and continues to burn in Riverside County; and
WHEREAS the fire has burned over 24,000 acres, destroyed homes and commercial properties, and is threatening thousands of other residences and scores of other commercial properties, necessitating the evacuation of residents, and the opening of emergency shelters; and
WHEREAS on July 18, 2013, Riverside County proclaimed a local emergency and requested that I proclaim a state of emergency; and
WHEREAS the circumstances of this wildfire, by reason of their magnitude, are or are likely to be beyond the control of the services, personnel, equipment and facilities of any single county, city and county, or city and require the combined forces of a mutual aid region or regions to combat; and
WHEREAS under the provisions of section 8558(b) of the California Government Code, I find that conditions of extreme peril to the safety of persons and property exists within the County of Riverside due to these events.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, GAVIN NEWSOM, Lieutenant Governor of the State of California, in accordance with the authority vested in me by the State Constitution and statutes, including the California Emergency Services Act, and in particular, section 8625 of the California Government Code, HEREBY PROCLAIM A STATE OF EMERGENCY to exist within Riverside County.
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT all agencies of the state government utilize and employ state personnel, equipment, and facilities for the performance of any and all activities consistent with the direction of the Governor's Office of Emergency Services and the State Emergency Plan.
I FURTHER DIRECT that as soon as hereafter possible, this proclamation be filed in the Office of the Secretary of State and that widespread publicity and notice be given of this proclamation.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 19th day of July, 2013.
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Valley thieves steal packages from front doors
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos