4 Marines killed at Camp Pendleton in Southern California in a training accident
SAN DIEGO -- Four Marines were killed Wednesday in an accident at Camp Pendleton in Southern California, base officials said.
The accident happened at 11 a.m. during a range maintenance operation at the San Diego County coastal base.
The Marines were clearing the range of unexploded ordnance, and it was not a live firing range, a Marine official said. No further details were released.
The identities of the dead were withheld pending notification of relatives.
"We offer our heartfelt prayers and condolences to the families of the Marines lost today in this tragic accident," said Brig. Gen. John W. Bullard, commanding general of Marine Corps Installations West at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton. "Our first priority is to provide the families with the support they need during this difficult time."
The deaths come about eight months after a mortar explosion killed seven Marines during a live-fire training exercise in Nevada.
A military investigation determined human error was to blame for that accident. According to the probe's findings, a Marine operating a 60 mm mortar tube and ammunition did not follow correct procedures, resulting in the detonation of a high explosive round at the mortar position.
The investigation also determined that the mortar team involved in the accident had not conducted "appropriate preparatory training."
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 2 dead, 17 hurt 30 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo