California Catholics launch pray for rain campaign
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The California Conference of Catholic Bishops launched a campaign last week after state reservoirs dipped to historic lows. Catholics say they are praying for what is essential, and they have faith their prayers will be answered.
Sunday parishioners at St. John's Cathedral prayed for a higher power to give Mother Nature a nudge and deliver more rain to the Valley.
"As far as God is concerned, it's not necessarily how much prayer, it's about all of us getting together and praying," Catholic Church member Beatrice Walls said. "God knows what we need and he will provide."
The first snow survey of the winter found the statewide snowpack is at just 20 of what it typically is this time of year, prompting a concern over increased wildfires. It is also worrying farmers whose livelihoods rely on getting enough water for their crops.
"We have a history of farmers in our family, my grandparents work the fields and so I know the importance of needing the rain in our Valley," Laura Zarate said.
Last week, Mendocino County became the first community to request state drought assistance. Several other communities have set mandatory water reductions as well. Catholics say all of that illustrates California's dire need for water and why it's worth praying for.
"We put in our prayers along with everything else, our family, our health, whatever is essential in our lives at the time," Michael Heiden said.
Governor Jerry Brown says he is weighing whether or not to make an official drought declaration. On Thursday groups of Valley growers will be heading to Sacramento to meet with the governor asking him to make that declaration and open the doors for federal assistance.
sacramento, drought, california water, water, state, anthony pura
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 6 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case 7 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian 36 min ago
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed