NorCal teacher arrested over pot-laced food
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Northern California elementary school teacher has been arrested for allegedly serving marijuana-laced food to her colleagues at a potluck dinner without their knowledge.
Benecia Police Department Lt. Frank Hartig said Teresa Gilmete Badger was booked into the Solano County Jail on Friday on suspicion of poisoning. The 47-year-old Badger's arrest capped a month-and-a-half-long investigation that started with a tip from the Benicia Unified School District's superintendent.
Hartig says that several people attending the Nov. 21 dinner at a private home complained of feeling ill or high from an unknown substance and that two of them sought treatment at a hospital. Blood work on one of the patients tested positive for THC, an active ingredient in marijuana.
"It was obviously something she ate and she was hallucinating. She was distraught over what happened basically," Joseph Nicols, a friend of poisoning victim said.
"There were probably 15 to 20 people at the party and I would say half of them developed symptoms or objective signs of being under the influence," Lt. Frank Hartig with the Benicia Police Department said
Investigators say another guest took some of the marijuana-laced food home and their 15-year-old child ate it, and then got sick. Badger denied any involvement when police arrested her at her home Friday.
Badger once received an award for outstanding achievement as a kindergarten teacher is now facing three felony counts of poisoning.
-------------- The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy
- Teens using vapor pens to secretly smoke pot in school
- Neighbors on-edge after Squaw Valley pot bust
- Triple Fresno stabbing appears to be random act
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Clovis Rodeo officially underway
- Video: MB2 Raceway Indoor Go Karting hiring in...
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after fire
- Fresno wedding chapel vandalism suspect identified
- Clovis Rodeo officially underway 47 min ago
- Fresno Police arrest Easter morning murder suspect
- Pep Boys shops closed and under suspension
- Man arrested in Fresno home invasion
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno