Apple passes Microsoft as world's biggest tech co.
SEATTLE -- Apple has surpassed Microsoft as the largest technology company in the world by market capitalization.
Apple's move comes as the company's iPhone, and now its iPad tablet computer, have taken on more of the personal computing tasks once handled by computers running Microsoft's Windows operating system and other programs.
Market cap is the dollar value of a company's outstanding shares. On Wednesday, Apple Inc.'s shares slipped $1.11 to close at $244.11, making its market cap about $222 billion.
But Microsoft Corp.'s stock fell $1.06, or 4.1 percent, to close at $25.01, for market cap of about $219 billion.
The only U.S. business with a higher market value is Exxon Mobil Corp. The oil company's market cap is about $279 billion, based on Wednesday's closing price of $59.31.
apple, microsoft, technology news
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno 10 min ago
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death 42 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free 51 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Large fire guts warehouse in Fresno County
10 min ago