Amazon's larger Kindle Fire HD ships early
NEW YORK -- Amazon has started shipping the larger version of its Kindle Fire HD tablet computer on Thursday, five days ahead of schedule.
Amazon is short on stock, though, so new orders won't ship until Dec. 3. Amazon.com Inc. had been taking orders for shipment on Nov. 20.
The Kindle Fire is one of several tablets challenging Apple's iPad.
The tablet, which has an 8.9-inch screen measured diagonally, is available on Amazon's website for $299. The tablet will be available at Best Buy stores beginning Friday and at more retailers in the coming weeks.
A version with cellular access is available for $499 and will start shipping next week as planned, though new orders won't ship until Dec. 3.
The smaller version, which has a 7-inch screen, has been available since September.
amazon, technology news
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 19 min ago
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals