North Korea offered chance at new nuclear talks by US, Japan
SEOUL, South Korea -- The United States and Japan on Sunday offered new talks with North Korea to resolve the dangerous standoff over its nuclear programs, but only if Pyongyang honors previous agreements and lowers tensions.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters that the North has a clear course of action available to it and will find "ready partners" in the U.S. if the reclusive communist government follows through.
Japan's foreign minister, Fumio Kishida, who appeared with Kerry at a news conference, said North Korea must honor its commitment to earlier deals regarding its nuclear and missile programs and on returning kidnapped foreigners.
The officials opened the door to direct talks with Pyongyang if certain conditions are met, and agreed on the need to work toward a nuclear-free North Korea.
Saturday, Kerry and Chinese leaders in Beijing pledged to resolve the North Korean nuclear situation in a peaceful manner. Kerry said gaining China's commitment was no small matter, given Beijing's historically strong military ties to the North.
The issue has climbed in urgency in recent months, given North Korea's tests of a nuclear device and intercontinental ballistic missile technology, and its increasingly brazen threats of nuclear strikes against the United States.
U.S. and South Korean officials believe North Korea may deliver another provocation in the coming days with a mid-range missile test.
Given their proximity and decades of hostility and distrust, Japan and South Korea have the most to fear from the North's unpredictable actions.
Kerry said the U.S. would defend both its allies at all cost.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
north korea, world news
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe