2 cruise passengers fall overboard in Australia
SYDNEY -- An air and marine search is under way for two people who were believed to have fallen overboard from a Carnival cruise ship that docked in Australia.
Authorities were alerted when a 30-year-old man and 26-year-old woman failed to claim their luggage. The couple was sharing a cabin and traveling with family and friends on a 10-day Pacific Island cruise.
Officials are conducting the search Thursday off Australia's east coast for the couple, identified only as Australian citizens from New South Wales state.
New South Wales Police Superintendent Mark Hutchings says surveillance camera footage showed that the couple fell from the ship's mid deck Wednesday night, when the ship was about 120 kilometers off the coast of Forster.
"This is a tragic event at the moment, but we're holding out hope we might be able to find these people alive," Hutchings told reporters.
This was the latest in a series of high-profile incidents involving the Carnival cruise line. Last year, the Costa Concordia ran aground off the coast of Italy, killing 32 people. Also last year, the Costa Allegra caught fire and lost power in the Indian Ocean, leaving passengers without working toilets, running water or air conditioning for three days. Costa is a division of Carnival Corp.
Then in February, passengers aboard the Carnival Triumph spent five days without power in the Gulf of Mexico after an engine-room fire disabled the vessel. Those on board complained of squalid conditions, including overflowing toilets and food shortages.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting 47 min ago
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say 8 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Craigslist played role in Madera Co. shooting
7 min ago