Make-A-Wish® celebrates World Wish Day® and launches Wishes In Flight®
It's a celebration more than 30 years in the making: in 1980, a 7-year-old boy received his heartfelt wish to be a police officer for a day.
That one wish inspired the founding of Make-A-Wish® and launched the wish granting movement that circles the globe today. On April 29, Make-A-Wish Central California will celebrate this special anniversary by kicking off a drive to collect airline miles for wishes that involve travel.
This celebration will happen at Fresno Yosemite International on April 29, 2013 at 10:00 am as wish child James, 5, and his family take off for his wish to visit the Kennedy Space Center. "63% percent of wishes require air travel, making it a critical - and costly - resource. In fact, more than 160 airline tickets, the equivalent of 8 million airlines miles, are needed each year to get local wish kids and their families to and from these incredible experiences, states Diana Rambo, Make-A-Wish Central California Executive Director. "It is imperative to stress the need for miles so that we can always maintain our promise never to turn away an eligible wish," urges Rambo.
On the 29th, Make-A-Wish Central California will announce that it has received a matching grant up to 1 million miles from the national Make-A-Wish which will be a tremendous help in reaching their 4 million mile goal all while celebrating the very first wish by sending James on his wish. These wish experiences can be pivot points in the course of a child's treatment, making them feel better and in some cases, even helping them get better. A wish-come-true strengthens families, provides moments of happiness and inspiration, and helps create strong community bonds.
Miles can be donated online by visiting www.centralca.wish.org and click on the Wishes in Flight link or by calling (559) 221-9474.
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH®: Make-A-Wish® Foundation grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength, and joy. Make-A-Wish® Central California has granted over 1,800 special wishes to children in Fresno, Kern, Kings, Tulare, Merced, Mariposa, Madera and Inyo counties since its inception in 1986. For more information visit our website at: www.centralca.wish.org or call (559) 221-9474.
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom 42 min ago
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest 30 min ago
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Freeze impacts Valley tropical fruit harvest
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos