Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
July 14, 2013
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
In this week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines," we talk about HIV and AIDS. HIV is the human immunodeficiency virus which can lead to AIDS. Unlike some other viruses, once you have HIV, you have it for life.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over time, HIV can destroy cells in the immune system, so much that the body cannot fight off diseases and infections, which leads to AIDS. Before the introduction of anti-retroviral therapy in the 1990s, people with HIV could progress to AIDS in just a few years. That therapy is not a cure, but the treatment can dramatically prolong the lives of people infected with HIV and even lower their chance of infecting others.
Today, someone diagnosed with HIV and treated before the disease is advanced can lead an almost-normal life, which makes the work of our first guest so important.
ABC7 is proud to support AIDS Walk San Francisco! We are excited to be streaming LIVE on www.abc7news.com from Checkpoint 3 on Sunday, July 21, 2013. Be sure to stop by and wave HELLO to the ABC7 News Team who will be putting you on camera!
Emily Gasner, E.D.
Bay Area Executive Director, Peer Health Exchange
AIDS Walk San Francisco & LIVE Stream!
Sunday, July 21, 2013
Sharon Meadow, Golden Gate Park
www.aidswalk.net (415) 615-WALK (9255)
*** Walkers: Look for the ABC7 News Team at Checkpoint 3! Tell your friends to come to abc7news.com to watch a LIVE stream of the AIDS Walk! ***
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges 56 min ago
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'