ABC7 hosts community meeting in SF Chinatown
SAN FRANCISCO -- ABC7 hosted an "ABC7 Listens" community meeting in San Francisco's Chinatown neighborhood Thursday. The meetings are an opportunity for viewers to talk directly with ABC7 about events and issues affecting them.
Thursday night's discussion was hosted by ABC7 News reporter Vic Lee and attended by the ABC7 management team. Among the topics discussed was how the Asian-American community needs to be celebrated and the importance of honoring unsung heroes in the community. ABC7 also heard about displacement and gentrification in urban areas, as well as immigration and poverty.
Norman Fong with the Chinatown Community Development Center talked about his organization "Youth for SRO's," or Single Room Occupancy, which will be honored by President Obama in September. "These high school youth have spent so much time to educate people living in SRO's, seniors on earthquake preparedness. We do it with the fire department. So, fire department called D.C. and said 'You've got to honor these kids,'" he said.
ABC7 would like to thank everyone who attended the meeting. If your group would like to team up with ABC7 to host the next meeting, please visit the Community page at abc7news.com.
We look forward to sharing the stories we learned about Thursday night on ABC7 News.
chinatown, children, community
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno 5 min ago
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death 37 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free 46 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Large fire guts warehouse in Fresno County
5 min ago