Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
August 11, 2013
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
In this week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines," we examine the importance of adequate sleep and the risks associated with not getting enough rest.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, insufficient sleep is a public health epidemic. Not only is it linked to motor vehicle accidents and occupational errors, but also chronic diseases.
We'll hear from experts in psychiatry and sleep medicine, as well as a personal story of someone who has struggled with sleep for 17 years. They'll discuss the causes of poor sleep and how to overcome improper sleep habits.
Winston Chung, MD
Medical Director of Inpatient Psychiatry, California Pacific Medical Center
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Geisel School of Medicine
Find him on Twitter: @WinstonChungMD
Rafael Pelayo, MD
The Stanford Center for Sleep Sciences and Medicine
American Diabetes Association
Diabetes Center, UCSF
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno