Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 15, 2013
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
In this week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines," we talk about food allergies and auto immune disorders, like celiac disease. Food allergy is a serious medical condition affecting up to 15 million people in the United States, including one in 13 children, according to the Stanford Alliance for Food Allergy Research (SAFAR).
The severity of allergies range from mild to life-threatening. Food allergies cause 90,000 cases of anaphylaxis and 2,000 hospitalizations each year.
Founder and CEO, Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board
Teen Ambassador, Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board
Amy Burkhart, MD, RD
Board Member and Medical Advisor
Celiac Community Foundation of Northern California
The documentary, "An Emerging Epidemic: Food Allergies in America," and additional teacher and classroom materials are available through Discovery Education, a provider of multimedia educational content for the classroom. It is also available for viewing at: www.discoverychannelcme.com.
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Sal's prepares holiday tamales
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos