Beyond the Headlines
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
September 15, 2013
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
In this week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines," we talk about food allergies and auto immune disorders, like celiac disease. Food allergy is a serious medical condition affecting up to 15 million people in the United States, including one in 13 children, according to the Stanford Alliance for Food Allergy Research (SAFAR).
The severity of allergies range from mild to life-threatening. Food allergies cause 90,000 cases of anaphylaxis and 2,000 hospitalizations each year.
Founder and CEO, Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board
Teen Ambassador, Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board
Amy Burkhart, MD, RD
Board Member and Medical Advisor
Celiac Community Foundation of Northern California
The documentary, "An Emerging Epidemic: Food Allergies in America," and additional teacher and classroom materials are available through Discovery Education, a provider of multimedia educational content for the classroom. It is also available for viewing at: www.discoverychannelcme.com.
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe