Beyond the Headlines: Smoking
ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
November 10, 2013
Hosted by ABC7's Cheryl Jennings
This week's episode of "Beyond the Headlines" looks at how smoking impacts our lives and our communities.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
* Every day nearly 4000 young people under 18 years old smoke a cigarette for the first time.
* Almost 13% of the adult population in California are currently smokers. That's more than 3,000,000 people.
* 69% of smokers in the United States want to quit completely.
The guests will address health implications and offers ways to quit.
Regional Advocacy Director
American Lung Association
David Jablons, M.D.
Professor and Chief of Thoracic Surgery
UCSF Department of Surgery
Director, UCSF Thoracic Oncology Lab
Project Coordinator, Tobacco Program
Thunder Road - Adolescent Treatment Center in Alameda County
1-800-NO-BUTTS Smoker's Helpline
Smoking Cessation Program at UCSF http://livingwell.ucsf.edu/programs/smoking_cessation
Heart and Vascular Center Resources: UCSF Heart and Vascular Center www.ucsfhealth.org/clinics/heart_and_vascular_center/
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka 5 min ago
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices...
58 min ago