Sweet and Spicy Pickles
Mr. Food (KFSN) -- In a pickle for what to do with all the in season bargain cukes you've picked up at the market or farm stand? We have the easy solution with our Test Kitchen's recipe for Sweet and Spicy Pickles. Nothing beats the taste or the raves from our own homemade pickle chips!
Makes: 8 cups
Cooking Time: 25 minIngredients
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 2 pounds cucumbers, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and jalapeno pepper . Bring to a boil and add cucumber slices; return to a boil and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes, or until lukewarm. Place in an airtight glass or plastic container and chill until ready to serve.
We like to use small Kirby cucumbers, but any type of cucumbers work here. And, for really crisp pickles, instead of cooking the cucumbers, just pour the cooked pickling mixture over the cucumber slices in a large heat-proof bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then cover and chill overnight. These should keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
mr. food, mr. food
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher 24 min ago
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos