Sweet and Spicy Pickles
Mr. Food (KFSN) -- In a pickle for what to do with all the in season bargain cukes you've picked up at the market or farm stand? We have the easy solution with our Test Kitchen's recipe for Sweet and Spicy Pickles. Nothing beats the taste or the raves from our own homemade pickle chips!
Makes: 8 cups
Cooking Time: 25 minIngredients
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 2 pounds cucumbers, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and jalapeno pepper . Bring to a boil and add cucumber slices; return to a boil and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes, or until lukewarm. Place in an airtight glass or plastic container and chill until ready to serve.
We like to use small Kirby cucumbers, but any type of cucumbers work here. And, for really crisp pickles, instead of cooking the cucumbers, just pour the cooked pickling mixture over the cucumber slices in a large heat-proof bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then cover and chill overnight. These should keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
mr. food, mr. food
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns 1 min ago
- 700 Carstens Fire evacuees allowed home
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails