Sweet and Spicy Pickles
Mr. Food (KFSN) -- In a pickle for what to do with all the in season bargain cukes you've picked up at the market or farm stand? We have the easy solution with our Test Kitchen's recipe for Sweet and Spicy Pickles. Nothing beats the taste or the raves from our own homemade pickle chips!
Makes: 8 cups
Cooking Time: 25 minIngredients
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 2 pounds cucumbers, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and jalapeno pepper . Bring to a boil and add cucumber slices; return to a boil and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes, or until lukewarm. Place in an airtight glass or plastic container and chill until ready to serve.
We like to use small Kirby cucumbers, but any type of cucumbers work here. And, for really crisp pickles, instead of cooking the cucumbers, just pour the cooked pickling mixture over the cucumber slices in a large heat-proof bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then cover and chill overnight. These should keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
mr. food, mr. food
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1 29 min ago
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos