Mr. Food (KFSN) -- Our salute to the classic creamy snack cakes that became popular in the '60s, is real a crowd-pleaser. Bake a batch of our Twinkie Cupcakes that put a new spin on this old favorite.
Cooking Time: 15 minIngredients
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 18 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, water, vanilla, and lemon peel; mix well. Divide mixture equally into muffins cups.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely, then slice each cupcake in half horizontally.
- In another large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat confectioners' sugar and shortening until creamy, then beat in the heavy cream until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread equally over the bottom cupcake halves then replace tops. Serve, or cover and chill until ready to serve.
These taste better at room temperature, so if they've been refrigerated, allow them to return to room temperature before serving.
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Cupcakes/Twinkie-Cupcakes-6204#3pbHtuRYPhB5hPB1.99
mr. food, mr. food
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake 40 min ago
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say 26 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings