Old Fashioned Stuffed Cabbage
Monday, September 24, 2012
Mr. Food (KFSN) -- This comforting old world Old Fashioned Stuffed Cabbage recipe, is even easier to prepare now that Howard from our Test Kitchen is sharing a tip to make these a breeze to assemble.
Cooking Time: 1 hr 45 minWhat You'll Need:
- 1 large cabbage, cored
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, not drained
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 inch of water to a boil over high heat. Place cabbage in water, cored-side down; cover pan, and reduce heat to low. Steam 20 minutes, or until cabbage leaves pull apart easily. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes and their juice, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well and set aside. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons tomato mixture; mix well.
- Place 1 cup tomato mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish. Peel a cabbage leaf off the head and cut off thick stem. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of leaf. Starting at core end, make a roll, folding over sides and rolling loosely. Place seam-side down in baking dish; repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and meat mixture. Spoon remaining tomato mixture evenly over top of cabbage rolls and cover.
- Bake 1-1/4 hours. Uncover and cook 10 additional minutes, or until beef is no longer pink.
- Instead of steaming the cabbage, an easy way to peel the leaves is to core the cabbage, freeze it overnight, thaw it completely, then peel away...easily!
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Beef/Old-Fashioned-Stuffed-Cabbage#jGVBuI1PTfLJCq8Y.99
(Copyright ©2014 KFSN-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
mr. food, mr. food
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 21 min ago
- AP: FBI investigates prison company 5 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase