Figgy Foster with Spiced Fig Cake, and Rum Caramel Sauce
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- From Trelio Restaurant, Clovis, California
Spiced Fig Cake
- 1 pound dried California Mission figs, stems removed
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Butter; as needed
- 24 fresh ripe California Calimyrna figs
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) butter
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup port wine
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 3 pints vanilla ice cream
Spiced Fig Cake
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan. Simmer dried figs and water in saucepan on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving liquid; cut figs into eighths and set aside to cool.
In medium bowl, combine reserved liquid from figs with buttermilk and set aside. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves together, and set aside.
In large bowl, cream butter with sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and stir in vanilla. A little at a time, add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, and beat well after each addition. Stir in chopped dried figs and chopped pecans. Turn into prepared tube pan, and spread evenly. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until done, toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes; then, turn onto wire rack and cool completely.
For Figs Foster
Remove stems from fresh Calimynra figs, and cut in half lengthwise; set aside. Divide Fig Spice Cake into 24 slices; melt some butter in heavy-bottomed sautépan and toast slices on both sides. Remove to individual serving plates, and keep warm in oven.
Then, melt 1/4 cup butter in same heavy-bottomed sautépan over medium-high heat. Stir in sugar and cinnamon, and whisk vigorously until sugar dissolves and sauce is bubbly. Add fresh figs and port wine; continue to cook until figs are tender. Remove from heat and add rum. Carefully return to heat, and ignite rum; stir constantly until flames subside. Remove from heat; immediately, divide and spoon over individual pieces of toasted Fig Spice Cake. Top each with No.16 scoop (1/4 cup) of vanilla ice cream; serve immediately.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving)
Calories 470 (43% from Fat); Total Fat23g; Saturated Fat 12g; Mono Fat 8g; Poly Fat 1.7g; Trans Fat <1g; Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 350mg; Potassium 398mg; Carbohydrate 60g; Sugar 46g; Dietary Fiber 5g; Protein 4g;
Daily Values:Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%.
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash 16 min ago
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building 20 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week