ABC-30 Weather Now
Clean-up begins after a weird and powerful storm
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- In this home video captured Monday in Northwest Fresno, you can actually hear the wind howling and see several trees swaying in the distance.
At Fresno-Yosemite International Airport, dust blew across the runway, and made the control tower nearly invisible.
In Downtown Fresno, leaves and trash swirled around, covering nearby streets. At Fulton Mall, shoppers struggled as they walked against the wind.
Jerry Castro of Fresno said, "We got on the bus, a nice sunny day. We get off and now going through this. If I had a skateboard and a kite, it would be a perfect day."
The rare wind storm knocked down trees and took out power lines. This crew told Action News; they had been inundated with calls beginning around 3:00, when the weather took an un-June-like turn.
David Ruiz with A&M Tree Service said, "Amazing, so many calls today. We can't even do the work."
Celeste Alba watched the storm nervously from the back window of her Central Fresno home. "As soon as that wind came, I said oh my god, this is not a safe wind at all."
She ran outside after a large tree fell over in her yard and crashed onto her neighbor's property. "I kept thinking woman that sounded like a gunshot or whatever, it was three big pops."
Alba and nearby residents immediately lost power. At one point, nearly 3500 PG&E customers in the Fresno area were without electricity. But, the damage extended to all parts of the Valley.
In Merced, a sudden downpour caught several people by surprise.
Shannen Gonzales of Merced said, "My jeans my hair my sweater and I went home and got my car and went somewhere else"
Some described the storm as odd, considering the warm weather we had just a day earlier.
abc-30 weather now
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say 48 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings