Snow Falls In Napa County
Feb. 27 - KGO (KGO) -- The top of Marin County looks like it could be part of the Sierra. Snow is blowing in with the chilly weather system.
Highway 29 is now closed -- that is due to the snow, numerous spin-outs and accidents. About 20 cars were stuck up on the summit.
It looked a little like the High Sierra on Mount Saint Helena this afternoon as snow began falling along Highway 29 in Napa County.
CalTrans truck driver Jeremy Stuart began his shift at 3:00 a.m. -- and was still at it 12 hours later, trying to keep the roads safe for passing cars.
Jeremy Stuart, CalTrans: "Well hopefully they are not having any accidents. We would like to keep them on the roadway and driving safely, as long as they are making it where they are going -- we like to see that."
By 3:00 p.m. the storm dropped about three inches of wet heavy snow on Stevenson Park, Highway 29's highest point which sits at about 2,200 feet. It was just enough for first time snow gazer Ignacio Montano, who drove up from Clear Lake with his mother to check it out.
Ignacio Montano, Clearlake resident: "I actually like this, it's kind of soothing, very joyful, makes me feel like its Christmas all over again."
Linda Sanchez, Clearlake resident: "It's been a long time since we've had snow on the mountain -- it's beautiful, very beautiful, I wish my granddaughter was here to play in it."
To give you an idea of how much snow is falling, just below 2,000 feet there is about an inch of snow on the ground. Just above us, a mile up the road there is a major traffic jam and spinouts. The Highway Patrol has traffic stopped traffic on both the Calistoga side and the Lake County side.
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
43 min ago