Millbrae celebrates Chinese New Year
MILLBRAE -- In celebration of the Chinese New Year Millbrae will be holding a weekend-long event with a parade, a friendship tournament and traditional performance artists.
Festivities begin Saturday afternoon with a Mah Jong friendship tournament at the Recreation Center, according to the city. The Chinese Community Health Plan is sponsoring the tournament.
Saturday evening the Jasmine Blossom performance will take place, combining an excerpt from a Peking Opera, a youth orchestra, folk dances, and a Chinese magic show. Louisa Liu, Miss San Francisco Chinatown 2007 and Sean Au, anchor for KTSF will be the masters of ceremonies for the event, which will take place at Mills High School.
The celebration will continue Sunday with a Lucky Mouse Parade at 9:30 a.m., as well as more performances and activities at the Millbrae Civic Center.
The Chinese Lunar Year begins today, according to Lunar New Year Festival Committee Co-Chairs Marian Kong and Joanna Ma. This year is the Year of the Rat.
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday