Difference between strokes and seizures
Many people confuse the diagnosis of a stroke with that of a seizure. They can both be the result of serious conditions.
For a time this weekend, family members of Senator Kennedy feared he might have suffered a stroke, as his father had in the 1960s. According to UCSF neurology professor Wade Smith, a stroke can often be confused with a seizure.
"A person just stops moving, the face droops or a hand becomes weak for a moment. It can sometimes be hard to tell the difference between them," says Smith.
Although strokes and seizures have similar symptoms, their causes are dramatically different. Strokes are typically triggered by blocked blood vessels. The brain tissue, starved for blood, shuts down. But Dr. Smith describes a seizure as more of an electrical malfunction in the brain, which disrupts function in a specific area, such as the temporal lobe.
"If you have a seizure there, you can have some of these funny ones where a person is suddenly just confused for 5 to 10 minutes, and then the confusion clears up and is back to normal. Those are the ones harder to characterize,"
Although Kennedy had undergone surgery for a blocked artery in his neck, doctors still haven't released information on the cause of the seizure.
But in patients his age, the possibilities range from a neurological episode, to something as serious as cancer, or perhaps a tumor.
health, carolyn johnson
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Consumer Reports evaluates best toilet papers 29 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire 5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos