Fire rages in hills of Napa, Solano Co.
NAPA - SOLANO CO, CA (KGO) -- A massive fire is burning along the Napa-Solano county line. It's just one of several hundred fires that have broken out across Northern California this weekend.
Fire consumed dried chaparral and trees in Napa and Solano County. The fire that started in the Napa hills has forced the evacuation of at least 350 people like the Martinez family, who live in the Wild Horse Canyon area of Napa.
"We've been out since last night, but we talked to one of the fire captains and he said if we wanted to go back and pack up or stuff, we could go ahead and do that. Now, we're leaving again" says evacuee Jake Martinez.
Jakes wife, Kathleen, only had enough time to pack up some memories
The fire has now jumped into Solano County. More than 3500 acres have been consumed by the wind swept fire since Saturday afternoon. The fire is burning in dense vegetation and is difficult to get to in some remote area of these hills.
Firefighters have been stretched thin because there are about 600 fires burning throughout Northern California. Dan Hendron and his crew have been working all night in Napa County.
"We're expected to do another 24 hour shift. With the state burning up as it is, our resources have been strutted pretty thin, so what ever resources there are on the fire, that's pretty much it."
The fire has jumped into the Twin Sisters area near Suisuin Valley. That's where Laverne Machado lives.
"I think were ok because were low. We were instructed to leave last night with a five minute notice," says Machado.
Linda McDevitt of Twin Sisters says she's one of the lucky ones. She was able to find a place to spend the night.
"We did find a place to stay but all the hotels here have been taken because of NASCAR, so a lot of people slept in their cars last night."
There is another place for the evacuees to stay at. The evacuation center has been placed at the Fairfield Community Center at 1000 Kentucky Street in Fairfield. The National Guard has also showed up to help until other resources arrive.
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion 47 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- SF police investigating shooting in the Outer Mission 4 min ago
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos