7 On Your Side
Macy's security breach halts card service
Thousands of Macy's customers are learning about a security breach involving their Visa credit cards.
Macy's had to notify 4,100 customers across the country who hold a Macy's Visa credit card -- not the regular charge card.
Macy's says there was a massive security breach at a Visa processing center in England. Theives got hold of Visa account numbers and started making unauthorized charges, mainly at gas stations.
Macy's is freezing the accounts of all 4,100 holders of the Macy's Visa card, but only those who had any transactions processed in England. Jonathan Klein of Oakland is one of them.
"I assume all they have is the 16 digits that constitute my credit card number. My concern is do they have more than that? Can they take that information and steal your identity, open up a new credit card account in your name, start charging things at Macys or whatever stores they want to?" says Klein.
Macy's says you may want to check for any unauthorized charges on your Macy's Visa. The company says, so far, it appears only account numbers were stolen, not personal information.
Just in case, you can register a fraud alert with one of the three credit bureaus:
7 on your side, michael finney
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos