East Bay News
Metro PCS employee shot in robbery
FAIRFIELD, CA (KGO) -- There were two shootings that happened late Thursday afternoon. Fairfield Police shot a man they thought was a suspect in a fatal armed robbery and now they're questioning if these two incidents are connected.
The first incident occurred at 5:15 p.m. with a robbery and shooting at a Metro PCS store in Suisun City. It ended with a shooting near the Travis Air Force Base.
A 20-year-old clerk at the cell phone store died in a robbery. He was a father, husband, and son just trying to do his job when someone decided to rob the store he worked at.
Police say it was a tough scene when the victim's family came out to the store to see if it was true. They were obviously extremely upset and police had to call in the chaplains to help.
"There were family members that showed up. We have delivered the news to them. We tried to provide them with counseling services, chaplain services to try to help them through this. We know this is a very difficult time for them and for the city of Suisun and Fairfield, our hearts go out to them," said Suisun City Police Operation Commander Tim Mattos.
"They wanted me to work with the family and get the family away from the scene and get them home if I could, which I was able to do so," said Chaplain Floyed Coffman.
"The family is very distraught, very emotional. The mother and the wife were taken to the hospital," said Chaplain Mollly Terrazas.
Police can point to a few reasons why the killer was drawn to the cell phone store.
"There are probably several reasons. Close to the freeway, easy access out. Often places that don't have a lot of cash, don't have a lot of people in them, so a lot of times they're easy targets," said Commander Mattos.
Police say the man ran off with some of the store's money, but he didn't get away unnoticed. A witness reported he was in a green van and an officer in Fairfield spotted one. The officer said the van was speeding and driving erratically. The officer chased it and the van ended up crashing. They say the suspect who was driving the van ran away and police ended up shooting him. The suspect was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive.
Fairfield police are still trying to confirm that the man they shot is the man who robbed the cell phone store. They say it may look obvious, but they need to make sure and get it confirmed.
Police don't know much about what happened inside the Metro PCS store, but they do know the store had as surveillance camera and that it did capture the robbery.
east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court 31 min ago
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear...
31 min ago